Serviced Apartments Sydney and Alpha Phi Omega Sydney Alumni Association (APO Sydney) collaborated with the Philippine Community Council of New South Wales (PCCNSW) Inc. in sponsoring the Philippine Christmas Festival 2018 Lantern Contest on 10 and 11 November 2018 at Tumbalong Park, Darling Harbour, Sydney.
The mechanics of the 2018 Lantern Contest are as follows:
1. The contest is open to all Filipino Australians in NSW. Only one entry is allowed per participant.
2. The “parol” should depict the Christmas Spirit and the Filipino Culture, products, tourism sites and elements that best represents the Philippines.
3. The “parol” can be of any shape and can use any material. The more creative and innovative, the better. It should be handmade and cost-efficient.
4. The size should be no less than TWO (2) feet in diameter and not greater than FIVE (5) feet across excluding the tassels.
5. It must be capable of being hung or may be propped on a pole that can be carried. It must comply all the safety regulations/requirements.
6. Interested participants are required to register their entry at
7. Submit a detailed soft copy of the design (COLORED) that includes sizes, materials used and breakdown of all expenses in creating the “parol”.
8. Attach also a colored photo (all angles) of the finished product. Send it to email@example.com. Put in the SUBJECT: Lantern Making Contest 2018.
9. After sending the soft copy of the design, the representative from Lantern Making Contest Committee will contact all participants.
10. All participants must bring their entries on 11 and 12 November 2018 at the festival venue.
11. Judging of all “parol” entries will be on 12 November 2018. Time to be advised.
12. All photos of the entries will be published in the event websites and in social media.
13. You acknowledge that Philippine Christmas Festival 2018 and the Lantern Contest Committee are not responsible for, and accept no liability in relation to your participation to the Lantern Contest and the Philippine Christmas Festival 2018.
14. The decision of the judges shall be final and no correspondence or discussion shall be entered into.
15. The Philippine Christmas Festival 2018 and the Lantern Contest Committee reserves the right to hold void, cancel, suspend or amend the contest where it becomes necessary to do so.
Christmas Spirit/Cultural Representation 30%
Cost Efficiency 10%
PRIZES: Cash prizes will be awarded to the winning entries.
The Lantern Contest Committee is composed of: Ronaldo Villaver, Alric Bulseco, Reynaldo and Shemile Gamilo, Irene Villamar and its two sponsors: Serviced Apartments Sydney and Alpha Phi Omega Sydney (APO Sydney) Alumni Association.